Make Your Own Beautiful Sliding Barnwood Door
(Inside: Create a beautiful sliding barnwood door that will add character to any space. Here is how we created our sliding barnwood door.)
My husband just made this beautiful sliding barnwood door, and I’m absolutely in love.
We are working on redoing our basement right now. We had a doorway leading to the unfinished part of our basement that was too big for a standard size door.
My husband presented me with two options to fix it:
(1) an accordion door (seriously, they still make those…no thank you!) or
(2) a barn door (yes, please!)
So he picked up some local barn wood and made this door.
I feel like the pictures don’t do the sliding barnwood door justice – it really is spectacular. It adds so much character to a very plain basement.
Here were his steps to make the sliding barnwood door:
1. Rough sanded the boards and used a wire brush to clean all the dirt.
2. Vacuumed the boards, then wiped them down.
4. He added the cross boards to the top and bottom of the front side of the door.
8. Because the sliding barndoor hardware had a bottom piece that prevents the door from swinging outward that was meant to be drilled into the floor – which did not work on our concrete, carpeted floor – my husband came up with a solution. He used a metal bracket, washers, and a piece of scrap board to make his own stopper. (Ignore all the holes in our trim – we’re planning on replacing our trim.)
9. His next step is to take down the door and seal it, now that we know that we like it and it works!
Sliding barnwood door and more. See the rest of our home remodel…
If you want to see some of my favorite finds for the home check them out on my favorites page (affiliate link) here.
DIY Kitchen Remodel (With Barn Wood Countertops!)
Our DIY Downstairs Bathroom Remodel
DIY Parent Bathroom Remodel
My Remodelaholic Guest Post – How to Create a Sliding Mirror Over a Bathroom Window
DIY Parent Bedroom Remodel
DIY Complete Home Remodel Photos
Screened-In Porch Remodel
Sliding Barnwood Door
Join this community of moms raising big kids.
Your brain bounces between your day at work, what time(s) your kids need to be at practice, your teen’s missing school assignments, that you haven’t called your mom lately, the load of the laundry to be switched, “What’s for dinner?” and “Why are 3 of my brain-tabs frozen?”
You are raising tweens and teens and college-age kids – the unique parenting phase where everything gets easier…and harder.
Join our community of raising big kids and get occasional email encouragements in your inbox including instant access to the freebie library. It’s free and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Cheryl is a mom of 3 boys, wife, speaker, high school teacher, and author of Empowered Moms & Kids. She has a Master’s degree in Educational Leadership and is passionate about learning and teaching. On www.empoweredmomsandkids.com you’ll find inspiration and encouragement for moms raising tweens and/or teens. Read more in the “about” section of this page.
great job! we have one in our home too!