We finished our bedroom remodel! Details of our DIY remodel at the bottom of the post.
What we did (affiliate links):
1. We ripped up the carpet and found there were wood floors! Yay! We rented a sander and sanded the main part of the floor. It took about three times going over the floor (three evenings) to get it sanded enough. There were about 3-4 inches around the edge of the floor that the big sander could not get. We started sanding with our hand-held sanders, but they were just too small. So, we bought an edger floor sander for around $50 and it was well worth it. Once the floors were sanded, we stained them the dark color.
2. New trim and edging around the closet doors and windows. (We painted it all white.)
3. New closet doors and pulls.
4. The dressers were $15 total from a garage sale. I first painted them black and I did like that but decided the room needed more color. So, I repainted them bright blue. Then, I looked at my freshly painted pieces, hesitated for about 2 seconds, then started sanding off the paint. I love how the black peeks through.
5. The curtains are from Target, but there are similar finds below:
6. The white bedspread we got a few years back from JC Penney.
7. The rug I ordered from Overstock.com.
8. We painted the walls grey.
9. The chest at the foot of the bed I painted black.
It feels good to have it done. Now, if only we kept the room this neat and tidy all the time…
Do you want to feel empowerment but are too busy to seek it out? Let me do it for you. I’ll send encouragement and freebies right to your inbox about once a month. Sign up below – let’s stay connected.
Cheryl is a mom of 3 boys, wife, speaker, high school teacher, and author of Empowered Moms & Kids. She has a Master’s degree in Educational Leadership and is passionate about learning and teaching. On www.empoweredmomsandkids.com you’ll find inspiration and encouragement for moms raising tweens and/or teens. Read more in the “about” section of this page.