(Inside: Top 12 best-selling board games for ages 10+ that your family can connect and laugh over. Create memories with your loved ones with these popular family board games.)
**This blog post contains Amazon Affiliate links.**
We want to connect with our big kids.
Time moves so fast for parents, freight train speed, blowing our hair back with its high winds.
We just want the clock to freeze.
Or even slow down a bit.
So, those moments when the hectic-older-kid schedules untangle making everyone home feel like the best luck in the world. Everyone under one roof is sacred.
For me, some nights I am ex-haust-ed, and all I crave a family movie night with popcorn and a comfy couch
But, other times, especially if I feel like we’ve been ricocheting around life like a pinball machine, I want to connect with my kids. I long to hear their voices and know what’s on their mind. I crave interaction, engagement, and so much laughter. Family games help us create that kind of atmosphere.
But, for parents to enjoy family nights, we must keep it all in perspective: my expectations aren’t exactly low, but they’re not high either.
Attitudes don’t have to be perfect.
People don’t have to throw enthusiasm around like confetti.
My kids are like me, and by the end of the week, we’re all running on fumes.
So, the deal is just come as you are. Sit and be. I’ll pull out the bubbly waters and put a snack plate together of crackers, cheese, and nuts. Simply gather round and belong. Sink into the now and let’s see if we can get into a family board game.
We’ll start with one round.
Maybe make it two, or switch games.
In the rhythm of laying the cards down or rolling the dice, I hope shoulders drop, jaw unclench, and life’s stress melt away. I want us all to find a brief reprieve from the outside world surrounded by the people who love us the most.
Because I find connecting as a family in this way so enjoyable and want my kids to (hopefully) meet me there, I thought it’d be fun to find the top 15 best-selling games on Amazon. I wanted to know what games other families enjoy playing. And I love what I’m seeing on this list.
So many great ideas that automatically update so the list you see is current.
Moms and dads, we want to connect with our big kids.
And we can.
Family board games are one great avenue to do that.
Top 12 Best-Selling Board Games (Ages 10+)
- ESCAPE AND SOLVE MYSTERY GAME: Clue Treachery at Tudor Mansion offers the suspense and intrigue of the classic murder mystery game, Clue, in a dynamic escape room board game. 1-6 players, ages 10+
- 1-TIME SOLVE COOPERATIVE GAME: Enjoy Clue in a totally different way! Players join forces and use sleuthing skills to escape the mansion before police arrive, then work together to solve the mystery
- DYNAMIC GAME BOARD: Players move their pawns around the board exploring locations. The gameboard builds and changes, revealing rooms and clues as players solve puzzles that unlock the mansion
- COLLECT CLUES: Figure out the who, where, and with what to win! Track down clues and collect evidence for the final solve. The more clues players gather, the easier to make the correct accusation
- FOR FRIENDS AND FAMILY GAME NIGHTS: Players can immerse themselves in this cinematic, single-play experience. It’s a murder mystery board game that’ll draw all into a story they won’t forget
- NEW GAME! What Would You Choose is a kids quiz game for kids 5+ and families to play in which everyone takes turns guessing answers to funny, silly, and challenging questions and dilemmas.
- SIMPLE TO LEARN! It is super easy for kids to play. Complete the questions on the cards for hilarious fun. A quiz game the whole family can play and will enjoy! Perfect stocking filler
- LOVED BY KIDS AND PARENTS! This game is inspired by the famous and much loved Do Kids Rather? Our game quiz is both fun and educational!
- HOURS OF ENTERTAINMENT! This game includes more than 500 questions – no two games are ever the same! Each game lasts 15-30 minutes.
- EVERYONE CAN PLAY! The game can be played with 2+ players aged 5 or older, the more the merrier. It is both a great game for holidays, car journeys and rainy days! Get yours now!
- This fast-paced, brain-blending party game will revolutionize your next game night. Battle against your friends and family by taking turns placing cards down and shouting out the correct color. Mess up and start over. Get rid of all of your cards first to win.
- You better be paying attention because if a person places a BEE card in the center of the table, everyone has to slap it. The person who slaps the BEE card last gets “stung” and has to add the whole pile to their hand…DON’T BEE LAST.
- Learn how to play in under 1 minute and play for hours. Each round lasts 10-20 minutes. This addicting board game will have you playing round after round.
- This game was designed with all ages in mind. Whether you’re 7 or 87, this game will be a blast. The game contains 72 cards, the perfect amount to play with 2 – 6 people.
- This is a perfect gift for kids AND adults. This might be the only game that parents continue to play after their kids go to sleep.
- FROM THE MAKERS OF SCATTERGORIES: Blurt it out before time runs out! The Ka-Blab! game is one of the fastes, frenzied, word games for adults and families that has players blurting out items or a catchphrase before time runs out
- THINK FAST: In each round, players take turns rolling the dice, game is to come up with that number of things that fit the topic listed on the card. They keep rolling and naming items until they can pass to the next player.
- RANDOMIZED TIMER: Think fast, blurt faster! The electronic timer is randomized so no one knows when it’ll go off. If it goes off on a players’ turn they lose a token
- LAUGH-OUT-LOUD FUN: Players ages 10 and up can enjoy the funnest party board games. Players will be on the edge of their seats while hearing the “tick, tick, tick” of the electronic timer. One of the perfect gifts for teens or family gifts this holiday season.
- FAMILY AND PARTY GAMES: The Ka-Blab! party game is a blast of a family games for kids and adults alike. It’s a fun indoor games to do while staying at home. One of the most exciting toys for 10 year old boys and girls & up.
- ALL NEW GAME: It’s the 2nd edition of the quick question “What am I?” game! Includes 6 new bands- Dino, Narwhal, Robot, Flower, Butterfly, & Brain PLUS 25 bonus cards in this Walmart exclusive version!
- SIMPLE TO PLAY: Pick a headband, place a card in it and play to figure out what’s shown on your card. Using yes/no questions, be the first to guess 3 cards correctly and you win!
- FAMILY GAME NIGHT: Hedbanz is a must-have in your collection of family games for kids and adults. It is for everyone ages 6 and up. For 2-6 players, bring along when you are in need of fun board games for family night.
- SPIN MASTER PUZZLES, TOYS & GAMES: A world of jigsaw puzzles and family board games for kids, teens, and adults. Plus strategy, cards, and classic board games like dominoes, mahjong, or a chess set.
- ENTERTAINMENT FOR EVERYONE: When you are with friends, bring a Spin Master game, toy, or cards. For family game nights, birthday gifts, party games, travel, and whenever you just want to have fun.
- Award-Winning & Gift-able: Creative Child Magazine “Game of the Year” award in 2016! Double Ditto is one of the best board games. Makes the perfect family gift. Add to your gift list now!
- Simple & Hilarious – Double Ditto is a fast paced family game that can be played with kids 8 years & up to adults. A customizable card game that allows for creativity with answers and has other players guessing the answers of competitors.
- How to Play: Pick a card, read it aloud, & quickly write down two answers you think others will imagine. Laugh or cry as you discover if you were correct. Find out whose mind is in sync with yours. It may not be who you’d expect! Creativity is key!
- What You Get: 400 category cards, a 15-second timer, score sheets, & instruction card. Play Time: 25 minutes. (**8 and 9-year-olds with strong reading and writing skills may also enjoy playing, and younger players may “team up” with an adult). Purchase Double Double Ditto Expansion pack on Amazon for extra cards and fun!
- Everyone Loves It: Check out our reviews and see how much fun you can have playing Double Ditto! One of the top family board games and party games on the market today! Perfect for kids ages 8-12, 12 and up, makes a popular kids gift! Also great for teens, preteens, aunts, uncles, grandmothers and more. Bring it to your next family gathering!
- WHO RULES THE HOUSE? In Beat the Parents, it’s kids vs parents in a fun-filled, action-packed showdown of trivia and challenges. There’s a wager at stake – will your team be champions on family game night?
- PICK A WAGER – WHAT WILL YOU DO? Each team writes a wager before the game begins. What will you do if you lose? Take out the trash? Buy pizza for everyone? The stakes have never been higher!
- KID-FRIENDLY TRIVIA WITH 25 BONUS CARDS: Kids and parents live in different worlds, so each generation gets their own set of questions. Parents, do you know what your kids know? Kids, just how smart are your parents? For 2 to 6 players, ages 6 and up.
- SPIN MASTER GAMES: Looking for games for family game night? Our toys & games offer a range from kids games to board games for adults, puzzles for adults & kids, and outdoor games.
- BOARD GAMES FOR FAMILY NIGHT: Switch it up with yard games, party games, & couples games. Don’t forget 1000 piece puzzles for adults & card games for adults too! Plus board games for kids 8-12 & games for kids ages 4-8.
- Fun game for ages 5 and up: Just 2 players are needed to play the trouble board game; engages kids ages 5 and up
- 2-4 players: The trouble game is a fun activity for play dates, after school, and family time; Enjoy playing the game with 2, 3, or 4 players
- Power up spaces: The game instructions include options for playing the classic trouble game or using power up spaces
- Pop-o-matic bubble: The iconic pop-o-matic die roller bubble is fun to press, and it keeps the die from getting lost
- Great family game: Adults and kids 5 and up can play the trouble game together. It’s a great choice for family game night
- STRATEGY GAME: Adventure awaits any swashbuckler brave enough to command a fleet. Conquer islands to gain valuable resources. Build and upgrade your ships with masts and cannons. Wage war against rival captains and rule the seas.
- EASY TO LEARN: The thematic and intuitive gameplay allows new players to quickly grasp the rules and will have you helming your battleship through the Caribbean in no time. The rulebook also contains an overview guide for easy understanding.
- HIGH REPLAYABILITY: The game board is created by combining six different double-sided ocean tiles which create a unique map configuration each time you play. You’ll never play the same map twice, encouraging you to explore new strategies.
- GIFTS: This modern classic appeals to both beginners and veteran gamers. Fun for adults, couples, families, kids, teens, high school and college students. Perfect for birthday gifts and Christmas gifts. A game night crowd pleaser.
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS AND AVERAGE PLAYTIME: This pirate game is designed for 2 to 6 players, plus a team play option. Average playtime is 20 minutes per player. There is no player elimination, so every captain fights to the very end.
- 60th anniversary of the risk game: celebrate 60 years of risk game history with this edition of the board game; it includes premium packaging and game pieces, and unique artwork
- For fans and families: this 60th anniversary edition is the ultimate board game for risk fans; kids ages 10 and up and adults can enjoy playing the game of strategic conquest together
- Classic strategy game: This classic strategic combat game is filled with Betrayal, alliances, and surprise attacks; gameplay from original version of the risk game is included
- 5 ways to play: game guide includes rules for playing original 1957 La conquete du monde version, and 4 other options
- Ultimate risk game edition: celebrate this milestone anniversary with this upscale edition of risk featuring premium packaging, unique art, and game guide highlighting the game’s rich history
- Family Board Games for Kids and Adults: Spoof is the hilarious bluffing board game that will have you talking and laughing all night. Provides the best party games for adults and family.
- Easy to Learn: Learn how to play Spoof in just 5 min. Ages 10 plus but younger players may play by teaming up with an adult.
- Best Games for Groups: For 4-8 Players. Playtime is 30 min.
- Great for Kids and Adults Alike: Perfect for group games, holidays parties, vacations, & more. Spoof is great for any gathering of friends and family.
- Be Creative & Fool Your Friends: “Spoof” your friends by making up clever, fake answers to fun trivia such as “_______ is the national bird of Japan.” “_______ is illegal to have on your porch in Arizona.” Be careful with the correct answers!
- Ditch the TV, and re ignite family night with the get together amusement of a Hasbro game
- Hasbro gaming imagines and produces games that are perfect for every age, taste, and event
- Includes game board, 12 Sorry Pawns, 44 cards, and instructions
- Nostalgic tabletop gameplay meets interactive digital content for an immersive gaming experience
- Party it up, and surprise guests at your next event with laugh out loud game from Hasbro gaming
Join this community of moms raising big kids…
Your brain bounces between your day at work, what time(s) your kids need to be at practice, your teen’s missing school assignments, that you haven’t called your mom lately, the load of the laundry to be switched, “What’s for dinner?” and “Why are 3 of my brain-tabs frozen?”
You are raising tweens and teens and college-age kids – the unique parenting phase where everything gets easier…and harder.
Join our community of raising big kids and get occasional email encouragements in your inbox including instant access to the freebie library. It’s free and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Shopping more for your family?
Best Booklist for High School Teenagers
Best Booklist for Middle School Tweens
Inspirational Books Moms Will Love to Read
Gift Ideas for Moms of Tweens and Teens
Gift Ideas for Teenage Boys
Gift Ideas for Teenage Girls
45+ Inexpensive Stocking Stuffers for Tweens and Teens
Easter Baskets Stuffer Ideas for Big Kids
And so many more great lists of must-haves built just for families of big kids on Empowered Moms and Kid’s specialized Amazon Affiliate Storefront…
Cheryl is a mom of 3 boys, wife, speaker, high school teacher, and author of Empowered Moms & Kids. She has a Master’s degree in Educational Leadership and is passionate about learning and teaching. On www.empoweredmomsandkids.com you’ll find inspiration and encouragement for moms raising tweens and/or teens. Read more in the “about” section of this page.