Moms, Do You also Survive on Fairy Tale Hope?
Fairy Tale Hope.
A phrase I just made up so let me define it for you. I told my boys to put the last of the dinner plates and cups in the dishwasher while I finished getting ready. We all needed to leave. I’m upstairs for just a few minutes when I hear laughing and screaming and running and chasing. I’m sure the scene downstairs is not of angelic boys completing a chore, but of a frenzied scramble to find a Nerf gun, a pillow from the couch, a sword, a shield or something to dominate each other. I hear the thump of a takedown, the cry of victory, the call of revenge…. And yet, there is a part of me that really truly thinks they did obey. Maybe they are just having a lot of fun lining the dishes in neat rows. I am sure pillows aren’t strewn about and no one is tangled in a wrestling move. The dishes are not teetering awkwardly on each other facing the wrong direction from being hastily thrown in.
No, that is not happening.
Okay, so it probably is happening. The downstairs has erupted into a den of untamed lions and the dishwasher probably won’t close because of the ridiculousness.
…the hope is still there. A little part of me still thinks – really thinks – they just might be doing what they are supposed to be doing. And if they are not and I stall for a few more minutes before going downstairs maybe – just maybe – they will pull it together and get the chore done correctly.
Fairy Tale Hope. Have you been there too?
Yes, I want empowerment in my inbox!
- Photo by Bruno Cervera on Unsplash
(This blog post contains affiliate links.)
Cheryl is a mom of 3 boys, wife, speaker, high school teacher, and author of Empowered Moms & Kids. She has a Master’s degree in Educational Leadership and is passionate about learning and teaching. On www.empoweredmomsandkids.com you’ll find inspiration and encouragement for moms raising tweens and/or teens. Read more in the “about” section of this page.
- Don’t get lost in motherhood? Or do? Unpacking mixed messages.
- It’s Okay to Feel Disappointed When Your Kids Quit Sports
- Moms of Big Kids, Did You See Your Sacred Moment Today?
- Once a Mom, Always a Mom – What a Gift
- Parenting Teens and Tweens Will Rip Your Heart Out
- You Can’t Fix Your Struggling Teen’s Problems, But You Can Do This One Powerful Thing
- Raising tweens and teens – this is what it looks like…
- To the Mom Who Mourns that Kids Grow Too Fast…