To The Mother of All Boys (Huffington Post)
(Inside: Encouragement for moms of all boys.)
My second article made it on to the Huffington Post. If you haven’t had a chance to read it, it would be my honor if you would check it out.
I am a mother of three boys. No daughters. Just three wonderful sons. So, I have always heard comments like:
Are you going to try for your girl?
Three boys… whoa… you must be tired.
Three boys. (Light-hearted laugh.) Man, I feel sorry for you.
Or that awful saying that goes something like this:
A son is your son until he takes him a wife. A daughter is your daughter for the rest of your life.
I love being a mom of boys and I know people aren’t trying to be mean, so these kinds of comments don’t normally bother me. (Well, maybe except for the last one… who wants to ever think their child will go off and never return? What a horrible thought.) But the remarks aren’t exactly encouraging or uplifting either.
Recently though, I heard a comment about my boys that I continually turned around in my head until it seeped deep into my heart. It made me feel like I could not possibly be blessed more than by being a mother of three sons. My family and I were eating breakfast at my grandmother’s senior living center. It was normal family mayhem. My husband and I helped our kids through the buffet. (“No you cannot pile only donuts on your plate.”) We were up and down during the meal refilling plates. We cleaned up an orange juice spill. Then our chaos was interrupted…
…to read more head over to The Huffington Post: To the Mother of All Boys
- Photo by Toia Montes de Oca on Unsplash
Yes, I want empowerment in my inbox!
Cheryl is a mom of 3 boys, wife, speaker, high school teacher, and author of Empowered Moms & Kids. She has a Master’s degree in Educational Leadership and is passionate about learning and teaching. On www.empoweredmomsandkids.com you’ll find inspiration and encouragement for moms raising tweens and/or teens. Read more in the “about” section of this page.
- Don’t get lost in motherhood? Or do? Unpacking mixed messages.
- It’s Okay to Feel Disappointed When Your Kids Quit Sports
- Moms of Big Kids, Did You See Your Sacred Moment Today?
- Once a Mom, Always a Mom – What a Gift
- Parenting Teens and Tweens Will Rip Your Heart Out
- You Can’t Fix Your Struggling Teen’s Problems, But You Can Do This One Powerful Thing
- Raising tweens and teens – this is what it looks like…
- To the Mom Who Mourns that Kids Grow Too Fast…